FreeBSD on a Mac G3?

Mykroft Holmes IV mykroft at explosive.mail.net
Fri Oct 10 09:03:26 PDT 2003

While there is a Ports system for Darwin/OS X, called GNUDarwin, avoid
it, as it is notorious for breaking the basic OS install without asking.

Fink is a better alternative, it's pretty much a port of the Debian
package management system, with somewhat improved source handling. As it
dumps all downloaded software in /sw, it doesn't break the base install.
Very nifty. Works very well.

OS X + Fink is a greak little OS, especially if you use 10.2 with
Apple's X11 server. I run that on my old Beige G3, and it's quite decent.

Adam