Jail FS questions.

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Oct 9 20:31:53 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 10:19:46PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > If I use unionfs as the ``base'' for the jail then every directory seems
> > to be automagically owned by the person that mounted it (i.e. root).
> > This causes me problems for stuff like mailspool, etc.  I think this is
> > the way unionfs works though, not an issue I am personally having.
>
> Ah, neat ... I'd never noticed that before ... its never affected anything
> as far as I've experienced though, but we don't unionfs mount /var, as
> there is a bug in unionfs dealing with sockets that mounting /var causing
> the server to crash repeatedly ...

See..that's just what I'm talking about.  Software that "works fine as
long as you remember not to do X, Y or Z, which will crash the system"
is what is called "not production quality".  Advocating that users
(which are not the same as testers, or developers) use it anyway on
their production systems is irresponsible.

Kris