Latest "stable" fixes are unstable

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Oct 9 15:38:35 PDT 2003

At 4:14 PM -0400 10/9/03, Jeffrey Wheat wrote:

>	Apologies for being so vague... All that happens
>on the 4.8(4.9RC) servers is they suddenly reboot without
>leaving anything in the log files at all, so it is very
>difficult to provide more details on the crash.

In the case of the 4.9 systems, are you VERY up-to-date?
There were a few changes recently made which did cause
problems for some users, but it should be true that all
of those are now fixed.  You'd pretty much want to be
running *today's* sources to get all those.  I think it
should be telling you that the system name is 4.9-RC2 if
it has (what we think are) all the fixes.  (I might be
wrong on that, I haven't actually rebuilt my 4.x machine
yet this week).

>On the 5.0 servers, I get page faults. I am going to
>enable crash dumps on these servers now.

I'm having some odd problems with 5.x-current right now, but
I haven't been able to figure out what it is yet.  In my case,
it *might* still be a hardware problem, though it seems odd
that I have zero trouble with 4.9 on the same hardware (and
my problems with 5.x didn't start until this September).

For me, the problem with the 5.x is that the machine completely
locks up, which makes it a real hassle.

It is also true that a week (or two?) ago there were changes to
5.x which caused problems for many people.  Again, make sure
you're up-to-the-minute with what you're running.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu