Turning off that bloody nagscreen on bittorrent!

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Sun Oct 5 19:18:28 PDT 2003

At 2003-10-06T02:08:50Z, Dragoncrest <dragoncrest at voyager.net> writes:

> Anyone know if there's a special switch or something on the Freebsd
> BitTorrent port or some way to go inside the python script and shut off
> that bloody nag stuff he's got built into his new version 3.3?

Here's my guess:

Look at btdownloadgui.py near line 265.  You'll see something like:

    def next(params, d, doneflag):
        try:
            p = join(split(argv[0])[0], 'donated')
            if not exists(p) and long(time()) % 3 == 0:
                open_new('http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/donate.html')
                dlg = wxMessageDialog(d.frame, 'BitTorrent is Donation supported software. ' +

Now, it appears that the "p" variable will end up looking something like:

    bdonatedtdonatedddonatedodonatedwdonatedndonatedldonatedodonatedadonatedddonatedgdonatedudonatedidonated.donatedpdonatedy

("btdownloadgui.py" with "donated" inserted between each character).  If a
file by that name exists (what directory?  I have no idea!), then you won't
get the nag screen.

Alternatively, would it be so hard to click "Yes, I've donated" and let the
program create the file itself?
--
Kirk Strauser

"94 outdated ports on the box,