Font selection problem with GAIM 0.70 port

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 4 20:56:35 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 23:47, Steve Bernacki wrote:
> When in a "conversation" window, clicking on the "Font Face" button
> causes gaim-0.70 to spew the following to stderr:
>
> ** (gaim:199): WARNING **: Couldn't load font "fixed Medium Semi-Condensed
> 0" falling back to "Sans Medium Semi-Condensed 0"
>
> ** (gaim:199): WARNING **: Couldn't load font "Sans Medium Semi-Condensed
> 0" falling back to "Sans 0"
>
> ** (gaim:199): WARNING **: All font failbacks failed!!!!
>
> ...at which point the program exits.  Googling this error message points
> to an improperly configured freetype2 library or fontconfig configuration.
> However, as far as I can tell, there are no configuration problems on my
> system: fc-list spits out 30 a number of fonts, although none that start
> with "Sans" proper.
>
> This is a brand new system, so unfortunately I'm unsure if previous
> versions of GAIM have worked properly.
>
> System: FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE + latest security patches
> XFree86 4.3.0 with all stock fonts
> Related ports: freetype-1.3.1_2 gettext-0.12.1 gtk-2.2.4_1 glib-2.2.3
> pango-1.2.5
> (from ports-current as of 10/1/2003)
>
> If anyone has any ideas, or can at least confirm that they are
> experiencing the same problem with this version of GAIM, I'd really
> appreciate it.

Works fine for me on two different systems.  No one else has reported
this yet.  You said this is a new system, but did you migrate an old
.gaimrc?  What version of freetype2 do you have installed?  Have you run
fc-cache -f -v as root?

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke