IDE RAID controllers

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Thu Oct 2 11:31:29 PDT 2003

Irvine Short <irvine at sanbi.ac.za> writes:

> They recommend the LSI MegaRAID i4 - see
> http://www.lsilogic.com/products/stor_prod/raid/i4.html

I got a DELL 600SC "server" a while back, not expensive, came with a
DELL "CERC"-branded MegaRAID i4: 4 IDE drives on the single PCI
controller card.  I've been running them as a couple RAID-5 volumes
under FreeBSD-5.x.  Do a search on the lists for CERC and you should
find my other postings on this.

I had some problems with drives failing but it appears it was an early
run of flakey WD1200JB 120GB drives, not the controller.

I haven't tried hot swapping or other stuff, but that's not why I
bought it.