Is My DVD Drive Failing, or Have I Mangled Something?

Fish fish at fish-mail.com
Thu Oct 2 08:59:37 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 11:24, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Fish <fish at fish-mail.com> writes:
>
> > su-2.05b# mount /cdrom/
> > cd9660: /dev/acd0: Input/output error
>
> Well, of *course* you can't do that with an audio disk...
>
> > bash-2.05b$ dmesg -a | grep acd
> > acd0: DVDROM <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502> at ata0-slave UDMA33
> > acd0: FAILURE - TEST_UNIT_READY status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
> > sensekey=MEDIUM ERROR error=0
>
> Yep, hardware problems.  If it happens with many different media, then
> it must be the drive.  *Maybe* cleaning it would help.

I'm sorry I wasn't totally clear with the mount thing, I had switched to
a data disc I had handy before I tried to mount it, so I wasn't just
going mad.  :-)  I guess I'll pick up a CD cleaner today and run it
through.  If that doesn't help, I've got a three-year warranty with
Dell.

Thanks for verifying my suspicions.

Fish