Headless question

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Oct 1 15:07:34 PDT 2003

Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 04:29 PM 01/10/2003, Darryl Hoar wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> I installed 4.7 on a machine last weekend.  This machines main
>> purpose is
>> just to be a mysql database server.  Do you have to do anything special
>> to run it  without a monitor (space considerations) ?
>

> Its handy to enable serial console access.  Add -Dh to /boot.config
>
> and in /etc/ttys
>
> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100 on secure
>

>         ---Mike

And one more minor point, albeit potentially important.

If the machine won't have a keyboard attached and
will be administered remotely, turn off keyboard
warnings in the BIOS.

Can you tell I once wondered why a server never
came back after buildworld and 'shutdown -r now' ?

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.