apache has fallen [and it won't get up]

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Sun Nov 30 16:40:02 PST 2003

At 03:20 PM 11/30/2003, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:

> > Interesting. /etc/resolv.conf has last been changed like 10 minutes ago
> > [not knowingly by me though]. All it says is
> >
> > search mshome.net
> > nameserver 192.168.0.1
>
>Looks like a DHCP layout. Are you running dhclient (ie: have
>ifconfig_IFACE="DHCP" in /etc/rc.conf)?

Nope, just an ifconfig_ep0 assignment for my nic.

> > Since my workstation is delliver.mshome.net and also shares its internet
> > connection on my lan via ics from and its ip addr on the lan is as shown,
> > what's up do you think?
>
>I think typing:
>host delliver.mshome.net
>
>*on that machine* doesn't give a valid ip address or an adress that is not on
>the workstation.

Actually I got the corrent ip's for each of my four windoz boxes by
querying each with their name on mshome.net.

>Since you're refering to 'ics' I guess you're gateway is an MS box and
>doesn't
>run DNS or a DNS forwarder at best.

Right, I think. It's a windoz xp home edition box getting dns via dial-up.
At least I think I'm saying that correctly.

>These do not resolve the local hostname on the machine itself, which is what
>mod_unique_id tries to do though.

The apache manual entry for mod_unique_id didn't say a whole lot. This must
be a default and I wonder if it's something I will eventually miss. What's
it do, or can you point to a more in depth explanation I can read?

>If you need landns.root.sh to start first, rename it to:
>010.landns.root.sh

Don't know whether I needed it but did. Didn't help apache to be able to
run mod_unique_id but then you probably already knew that. :)

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site