ssh issue

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at northnetworks.ca
Fri Nov 28 23:09:51 PST 2003

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 06:38:07PM -0700, David Bear wrote:
> > running 4.7-RELEASE.. I'm trying to setup ssh pubkey auth and its not
> > working..
> >
> > I put my pub key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys from system A
> >
> > On system B edited /etc/ssh/sshd_config with
> > ======================
> > PubkeyAuthentication yes
> > AuthorizedKeysFile      .ssh/authorized_keys
> > PasswordAuthentication no
> > =====================
> >
> > I chmod'd my .ssh dir as 700 on system A and B.  Then restart sshd on
> > system B explicitly using -f /etc/ssh/sshd_config .

Ok, it sounds like you are putting the 'config' on the server side, not
the client. I hope I am assuming correctly. Here is a snip from my
'config' on my client side. Note that I have two entries. Depending
which network I am connected to, most of the time I can connect just
using the servers hostname, and other times, must type in the entire
domain name. Having an entry using each connection method (ip, hostname
or FQDN) is important:

---snip---

Host host.northnetworks.ca
User steve
Compression no
Protocol 2
RSAAuthentication yes
StrictHostKeyChecking no
ForwardAgent yes
ForwardX11 no
IdentityFile /home/steve/.ssh/xxx_dsa

Host host
User steve
Compression no
Protocol 2
RSAAuthentication yes
StrictHostKeyChecking no
ForwardAgent yes
ForwardX11 no
IdentityFile /home/steve/.ssh/xxx_dsa

---/snip---

Here's another site you can have a quick look at:

http://ww3.northnetworks.ca/docs/ssh_key_auth

Steve