monitoring with mrtg

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Fri Nov 28 18:02:08 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 07:41:22PM -0500, SWIT wrote:
> Hello,
> newbie and its the holiiday so be nice or santa will poop in your stocking
> :-)
>
> I am interested in monitoring my freebsd box with MRTG/rrdtool.
>
> I have the mrtg/rddtool setup on the box.
> I can get to my devices w/o any issues and graph.
> Not sure on the freebsd box tho
> I have RTFM and other sites.
> In reading I sounds like I needed ucd-snmp but its not there. So I searched
> more and found out its now net-snmp
> So I installed from ports. but its say libnet is wrong version tho its
> updated. So had to reinstall libnet.
> So now I have net-snmp.
> I ran snmpd and it asks a whole lot of questions. I answered them.
> But i get errors and snmpd doesn' start. mostly says blank lines.
> Now when Answering the questions I did not answer every question. Like those
> on snmp3 related. and mabye a few others.
> Does every thing need to be answered ?

No it will work fine without.

> And the warning at the end of the install scares me about security and all
> that.

Don't be worried to much. There a lot of appication that give this
warning. If you have a firewall (configured the rigth way), update your
source + applications + FreeBSD system one ine wil and maybe even have a
virus scanner chances are nothing going to happen to you.

> any good net-snmp newbie setup docs ? sites ? any other ways easier to do
> this ?
> The mrtg site has nothing related to freebsd.

My first setup was with a randum example. You don't realy need something
related to freebsd.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: