migrating users

Jason Taylor jasont at ceredigion.gov.uk
Fri Nov 28 06:35:59 PST 2003

> >Why would you want to have the cleartext passwords for all users to be
> >able to migrate? What you could do is start 'vipw' as root on the
> >original server, save that file to disk under a different name, start
> >'vipw' on the new server, and read in the saved file, and save it again.
> >
> >Next you'd have to make sure the groups are in tact. Either copy it
> >(/etc/group), or manually set it to the correct values.
> >
> >That should do the trick.
> >That is, IF your new server is a fresh FBSD install.
> >
> >Sander.
> >

> The problem is I need to put the users in a database (virtual mail users).
> So I need to crypt the passwords with the database crypt function.

The postgres (www.postgresql.org) pgcrypto library (in postgres contrib) has
a crypt function that is compatible with des and md5 passwords.

So import your usernames and passwords as described above and customise your
pop3 daemons configuration (or patch it) to use an sql statement like:

select username from virtualusers where username='USERNAME' and (password =
crypt('PLAINTEXTPASSWORD',password));

Postgres is a good choice for these applications (as oppose to mysql), views
come in very handy for produce different calculated fields for each
application.

Hope this helps.

Jason

RHYBUDD:  Mae'r wybodaeth sydd yn y neges E-Bost yma yn gyfrinachol ac mae'n bosib y bydd yn gyfreithiol freintiedig.  Os nad y sawl a fydd yn darllen y neges yma yw'r sawl y bwriadwyd yr e-bost ar ei gyfer, fe'ch hysbysir drwy hyn y gwaherddir defnyddio'r neges, ei rhannu, ei dosbarthu neu ei hatgynhyrchu gennych chi eich hun neu ar eich anogaeth.  Os cawsoch y neges yma trwy amryfusedd, a fyddech cystal ? rhoi gwybod i ni ar unwaith a dychwelyd y neges wreiddiol.  Nid yw'r wybodaeth sydd yn y neges yma o reidrwydd yn cynrychioli polisi a threfn weithredu'r Cyngor.  Os cewch gan y Cyngor hwn ddeunydd heb i chi ofyn amdano neu ddeunydd tramgwyddus rhowch wybod i ni ar unwaith.
Diolch
CAUTION:  The information in this E-Mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message by you or at your instigation is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error  please notify us immediately and return the original message to us.  The information in this message does not necessarily represent Council policy or procedure.  In the instance  of receiving unsolicited or offensive mail from this Council please notify us immediately.
Where information of a sensitive or highly confidential nature is to be communicated, you will be informed that this information will be sent to you in writing and not by E-Mail, unless secure arrangements are made.
Thank you.