Kazaa/p2p on a LAN and ping problems

Eric Timme timothy at voidnet.com
Thu Nov 27 17:49:12 PST 2003

Network topology:

LAN <==> FreeBSD Gateway <==> Internet

Gateway specifications:
FreeBSD overlord 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Mon Sep 22 07:05:09 CDT
2003
k6-233, 128MB ram
ipf packet filtering in place

Internet (cable):
256kb up
2.0mbish down

======

It seems an impossible task to limit Kazaa and other p2p (Kazaa especially)
from accessing the Internet from a LAN, especially when you're sharing the
LAN with other college age people. So, I've instead told them to limit their
upstream to 5kB, which leaves a good amount of of the upstream pipe for web
browsing.

However, whenever any p2p in the house is active pings on any external network
degrade horribly, even if it's only a single host, and 20kb of my upstream
bandwith remains.

Wolfenstein servers that I pinged 30 on with no p2p activity on the LAN, for
instance, begin to ping at 400-500 ; the situation is equally bad with MUDs
and other ping reliant games such as Quake.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to fix the problem so that ping
dependant games can be played while p2p apps are active on the LAN? Kicking
the network cable out works late at night, and at times during the day, but
it isn't a permanent solution. Limiting p2p from the LAN completely is not
possible from my position.

A user on IRC mentioned he had no such problem with IPFW - if my problem isn't
specific does that mean that my use of ipf is responsible for this behavior?

Thanks,
Eric