Cannot perform make install

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu Nov 27 15:11:29 PST 2003

On Thursday 27 November 2003 03:05 pm, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 17:28, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > I have installed FreeBSD 5.1 on my laptop and have successfully
> > installed KDE and other apps by going to the appropriate ports directory
> > and performing a 'make install clean'.
> >
> > However, when I tried to install nautilus by going to
> > /usr/ports/x11-fm/nautilus and typing 'make install clean' (without the
> > quotes, of course), I'm getting the following error:
> >
> > make:  don't know how to make install. Stop
> >
> > If I just use make, I get:
> >
> > make:  no target to make.
> >
> > Is this a problem with the make command?  Something I need to
> > reinstall?  I will provide any additional information, just wasn,t sure
> > what else to include.
> >
> > Here is my uname -a output:
> >
> > FreeBSD .america.net 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun  5
> > 02:55:42 GMT  2003
> > root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> > i386
>
> I just successfully started a 'make install clean' with Evolution, but
> can confirm that it does not work with nautilus or gedit. :-/
>
> Why would this be?

I think you have an old port structure. You might have a readme.html left over
or something. On a curent cvsup, I get the following

# cd /usr/ports/x11-fm/nautilus
/usr/ports/x11-fm/nautilus: No such file or directory.

I think you should probably be using

Port:   nautilus2-2.4.1
Info:   GNOME file manager and graphical shell developed by Eazel

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA