Help!: 160 gig only seen as 152 gig??

Robin Schoonover end at endif.cjb.net
Wed Nov 26 21:53:13 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:14:43 -0600 (CST), Larry Rosenman <ler at lerctr.org>
wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Dragoncrest wrote:
>
> > I have a Freebsd workstation running 4.9 on an Epox 8k9A2+ MB and the
> > silly thing sees my brand new Western Digital HD as 160gig in the bios,
> > but BSD only sees it as 152gig.  Now 8 gig isn't all that bad of a
> > thing to loose on a drive that big, but still, it's too weird that I
> > would be unable to get to that last 8 gig.  When going into Fdisk I get
> > the error that the geometry on the drive is wrong and it suggests a
> > much more appropriate, albeit smaller, geometry.  Is this something I'm
> > doing wrong in setting up the drive, or is this a limitation or problem
> > in BSD?  Or is it simply a limitation of the hardware?  I'm not going
> > to cry over 8 gigs lost, but I would really like to know if there's
> > something that can be done to fix this, or am I kinda SOL?
> Drive manufacturers use base 10 Gig (1,000,000,000), and FreeBSD uses
> base 2 gig (1024*1024*1024).
>
> Your drive is fine.

Hmm.  I don't think this question is in the FAQ, but it seems asked often
enough.  At least I didn't see it in there.  Maybe it should get added...

I'm not in anyway indicating I want to help document, because I don't want
to end up get stuck doing that (I'll start feeling I have an obligation,
and yadda-yadda). I'm just trying to throw the idea out so someone else
will do it :P

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
#