ftp install

John Ball derrrrrrick at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 17:38:31 PST 2003

Hello I am trying to install freebsd over ftp on an older(266mhz pentium) noname laptop.

Following the instructions I am stuck at one point...when I get to the boot: prompt how do I get to the kernel configuratoin menu? There is some inconsistency between the instructions and my install. Maybe its  my floppies?

I have gnet firewall/router.

I try to install over ftp, sysinstall asks me about slip/ppp info so I am assuming that my nic(xircom cardbus 10/100, model:rbe-100) isn't loading the drivers correctly or there is perhaps a resouce conflict. I have read the section of the install instructions that discusses this, but I can't seem to get to that point in the install...I go from the boot prompt(skipping kernel configuration menu) straight to the sysinstall menu.

What am I doing wrong? How do I confirm that my NIC is loading right or is there some other setting for dhcp that i am missing?

Thank you for your time....

Derrick Flueck