Adding new IP's without reboot?

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Wed Nov 26 16:49:30 PST 2003

Ben Dover wrote:

> Is there a way to add new IP’s to a FreeBSD 4.9 or 5.1 box without
> rebooting. I add them to /etc/rc.conf but they are not effective until
> a reboot. There are some webhosting assistant programs which allow
> instant use of IP’s with *nix and I was hoping there was a way to do
> this in FBSD.

If you've got other NICs installed, then see 'man ifconfig' or use the
ifconfig_* line from rc.conf asa template. If you have limited NICs,
they're likely using aliases, which is covered although briefly in the
ifconfig man page. Easy on Linux, haven't used IP aliases on freebsd as
of yet, but a quick google shows:

http://freebsd.peon.net/tutorials/6/ IP Aliasing Doc/Tutorial...

HTH,

Scott