Adding users...

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Wed Nov 26 15:05:53 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:09:38PM -0500, Xpression wrote:
> Hi list, I installed Apache and ProFTPd servers, users can
> upload tehir sites via FTP, I have configured in Apache
> DocumentRoot in /usr/local/apache2/wwwroot, my question is:
> can I create users which their home directories path is
> /usr/local/apache2/wwwroot/userN ??? Is this way trustable
> ??? I was thinking it because if it's no possible I have to
> change my DocumentRoot wherever the main site is
> located...thanks...
It is possible, but perhaps not the best option because _any_ files a
user uploads will be immediately accessible via the web.  If you did
want to do it, check out:

man pw

There's a switch you can use to change the default home directory for
users created with pw - you can also make it permanent by modifying
/etc/pw.conf.

Alternatively you could just opt to keep the default home dir as /home
and then create symlinks inside joe's home dir:

/home/joe/public_html -> /usr/local/apache2/wwwroot/joe

However, if you decide to go down that route, consider using /var/
instead of /usr/local/ for your web files since /var is a more logical
place to place web files that change often (files that VARy over time).
Have a look at:

man hier

for more info.

--