newbie install question

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Wed Nov 26 12:40:03 PST 2003

At 02:59 PM 11/26/2003, Bob Collins wrote:

>I found on my Bellsouth DSL at home, I often have intermittent troubles
>installing from ports with the DSL router being (seeming) flaky during the
>day. I have found, empirically, during the later evening hours (9:00 or
>later) the same installs proceed flawlessly.

Bob, I did these at night!

>Installing Apache and PostgreSQL are fairly large and would have shown
>troubles if your were also having intermittent connectivity like I was.

Yep, also I got much of the way through an X11 install [much larger than
I'd anticipated, holding off for now] before blowing /usr.

>Is there a chance that the limited space on /usr is the trouble with the
>install process now?

I don't think so:

FreeB df -h
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a   126M    35M    81M    30%    /
/dev/ad0s1f   252M   284K   232M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad1s1e   1.9G   723M   1.1G    40%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1e   252M   3.2M   229M     1%    /var
procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
FreeB

And I've got a 2 1/2 GB ide sitting in my desk I bought from a neighbor for
$5. My current thinking is that if New Year's Day is uneventful as usual I
might open the box and [I think the right procedure is]

-- set it to master
-- set the cdrom to slave
-- install this (3d) hd on the secondary ide channel in front of the cdrom

Then see about having /usr span ad1 - ad2

>One thing you could do, is try a simple ftp download to your
>/usr/ports/distfiles directory to then run the install. It is a bit of a
>stop gap measure, but at least get you running as you want.

Hmm, looks like I finally have to learn a little about what I'm trying to
do. Here's the story. I haven't installed CVS yet, and my iso was sitting
around some months before I got it installed [thanks Adrian, wherever you
are ;) ].

So I d/l'd from mysql.org the file
mysql-max-4.0.16-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386.tar.gz and put that into
/usr/ports/distfiles, but tried the make install from
/usr/ports/databases/mysql40-server/ which I'm sort of guessing has been
setup for an older distribution? I got this:

  make install

You may use the following build options:

         WITH_CHARSET=charset    Define the primary built-in charset (latin1).
         WITH_XCHARSET=list      Define other built-in charsets (may be 'all').
         WITH_OPENSSL=yes        Enable secure connections.
         DB_DIR=directory        Set alternate directory for database files
                                 (default is /var/db/mysql).
       WITH_LINUXTHREADS=yes     Use the linuxthreads pthread library.
         OVERWRITE_DB=yes        Re-initialize default databases
         SKIP_DNS_CHECK=yes      Don't run resolveip to do an additional
                                 DNS check before inserting local hostname to
                                 mysql database
                                 (use if your machine has no official DNS
entry).
         BUILD_STATIC=yes        Build a static version of mysqld.
         BUILD_OPTIMIZED=yes     Add -mcpu=i686 to CFLAGS.

 >> mysql-4.0.10-gamma.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
 >> Attempting to fetch from
ftp://mysql.secsup.org/pub/software/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/.
fetch:
ftp://mysql.secsup.org/pub/software/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/mysql-4.0.10-gamma.tar.gz:
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
 >> Attempting to fetch from http://mysql.tzone.it/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/.
fetch: http://mysql.tzone.it/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/mysql-4.0.10-gamma.tar.gz:
Host not found
 >> Attempting to fetch from
ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/.
fetch:
ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/mysql-4.0.10-gamma.tar.gz:
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
 >> Attempting to fetch from
http://www.softagency.co.jp/MySQL/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/.
^Z
Suspended

IOW a whole bunch of junk seems to amount to my port is older than what I
d/l'd. Am I guessing right? Is my best course now following The FreeBSD
Diary advice on installing CVS (or is it CVSUP?)?

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site