ssh issue

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Nov 26 06:40:27 PST 2003

David Bear <David.Bear at asu.edu> writes:

> running 4.7-RELEASE.. I'm trying to setup ssh pubkey auth and its not
> working..
>
> I put my pub key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys from system A
>
> On system B edited /etc/ssh/sshd_config with
> ======================
> PubkeyAuthentication yes
> AuthorizedKeysFile      .ssh/authorized_keys
> PasswordAuthentication no
> =====================
>
> I chmod'd my .ssh dir as 700 on system A and B.  Then restart sshd on
> system B explicitly using -f /etc/ssh/sshd_config .
>
> the ssh'ing into system B I'm still prompted for a password.

You have a public/private key pair on system A.  You will be using
that pair to log in to system B.  B needs to have the key in its
authorized_keys file.  It sounds like you actually did that on A.

If I'm misunderstanding, then maybe you can post a bit more detail
to make things clear.  But more likely, you'll get the answer just
by running ssh with more verbosity (-v options).

Good luck.