First time 5.1 install

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Tue Nov 25 10:54:21 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:40:59PM -0500, Trey Sizemore typed:
> Doing a first time install of 5.1.  The ports packages look comprehensive
> and very up-to-date.  I'm coming from the linux world, having used it
> exclusively for the past year.  I have the manual and will certainly read
> it before perfoming the install to hopefully make the process easier.
>
> I found the following in a FreeBSD article post and wanted any comments
> from users who had done a number of installs as to the logic/soundness of
> following the steps outlined below:
>
> Install a minimal base system and the ports collection.

Sounds good.

> Install and configure cvsup and portupgrade.

I recommend installing packages here:

pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
pkg_add -r portupgrade

This saves a lot of time. Also, the -without-gui saves you from installing
(unneeded?) X11 libraries.

> Update your source tree and ports tree.

Be carefull here. Since you are a new user, you probably don't want to run
-current. So make sure you cvsup to RELENG_5_1, which is the security branch
for your release.

> Make buildworld, kernel, installworld. Run portupgrade -a.

Don't forget to do a reboot after you install the new kernel and before you
install world. See the handbook for details.

> Reboot your nice, clean, up-to-date system and start installing apps you
> want to use.
>
> Does this make sense?  Any additional steps and is the ordering of the
> steps sound?

I think this more or less covers it. Good luck.

Ruben