First time 5.1 install

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 25 10:41:03 PST 2003

Doing a first time install of 5.1.  The ports packages look comprehensive
and very up-to-date.  I'm coming from the linux world, having used it
exclusively for the past year.  I have the manual and will certainly read
it before perfoming the install to hopefully make the process easier.

I found the following in a FreeBSD article post and wanted any comments
from users who had done a number of installs as to the logic/soundness of
following the steps outlined below:

Install a minimal base system and the ports collection.

Install and configure cvsup and portupgrade.

Update your source tree and ports tree.

Make buildworld, kernel, installworld. Run portupgrade -a.

Reboot your nice, clean, up-to-date system and start installing apps you
want to use.

Does this make sense?  Any additional steps and is the ordering of the
steps sound?

Thanks for your feedback.
--
  Trey Sizemore