daemon monitoring

Will Prater will at mercurycloud.net
Mon Nov 24 14:48:43 PST 2003

On Nov 24, 2003, at 1:10 PM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> Will Prater wrote:
>
>> List,
>>
>> What are most of you using to monitor the running daemons? I have been
>> loooking into DJB daemontools which seems appropriate, but are there
>> any others that you reccomend?
>>
>> If DJB's daemontools is the one, could I get some more examples? I am
>> primarily trying to keep my mail system online: postfix, cyrus,
>> saslauthd, mysql, and spamassassin.
>
> I'm particularly fond of daemontools/supervise, actually. You've got to
> jump through some hoops to get it working (process must run in
> foreground,
> process must start first time, etc..), but it's very reliable and the
> qmail style qmailctl script can be adapted to any configuration with
> minimal
> work to make an excellent control script.

Yes, it looks promising. I have it working for a few of my processes. I
was looking to something similar to Mac OS X Servers watchdog. This is
much better.

I get weird errors when I am trying to get saslauthd since I have to
use fghack to get it going.

Can you send me the qmailctl script or some examples that you have with
some daemons on your system?

Thanks