HD error: BAD SUPER BLOCK

Robert Neumann shritis at gmx.de
Mon Nov 24 14:29:44 PST 2003

Hi Jerry,

Jerry McAllister wrote:

> NOTE:   If you run disklabel and do not use the "-r" switch, then
> what you are seeing is the socalled 'in-cure' version of the disklabel
> and if no FreeBSD label has been written on the disk, the system will
> make up some default stuff.   So, just seing # /dev/ad6
> and type: , etc plus the line for c: followed by those messages
> saying cannot find label is a strong indication that nothing is there.
> Has fdisk and disklabel (with a write switch) ever been done on this disk?

I had this disk working in a FreeBSD 4.7 machine. When I installed
FreeBSD i created one partition on the disk and it worked without error.

This was also strange:
When I moved to my new home I took the disk out of the 4.7 machine for
transport. When I put it back and booted 4.7 there came the same errors
(BAD SUPER BLOCK ...). I then put the drive into a system running
Windows 2000 (don't know why I did this) and just startet it.
Immediately after that I shut down Win2000 and moved the disk back to
the 4.7 machine - booted it - and the disk worked again without error.
I have no idea what happend there - I just was happy that all data was
still there.

Regardz,

Robert