5.0 vs. 5.1

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Mon Nov 24 09:19:07 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:12:08PM -0500, john typed:
> I'm currently running 5.0 release and am wondering about the possible
> positives/negatives of switching to another release, particularly 5.1
> current.
>
> I'm running it as my "work" machine for programming and school type things,
> side by side with my windows machine, so it's not *essential*, but I would
> definitely like to eventually be done with windows all-together. Strangely,
> I've never been able to get this system to boot to the sysinstall menu with
> any 4.8 or 4.9 build, so provided I'm not just doing something horribly
> stupid they're not an option.

Your system probably can't boot from an emulated floppy-image, which is used in
the 4.x branche. The newer no-emulation method used in 5.x is the same Microsoft
is using since NT4 (hence the "ready for ..." stickers on many PC's).
You can still install 4.x by just creating the floppy disks from the kern.flp
and mfsroot.flp images in the /floppies directory on the CD and booting them.

> My end goals would be to have this machine see and be visible to my windows
> network, set up email, ftp, and web servers, and have as much multimedia
> functionality and windows program accessibility as possible.

All this (and more) is certainly possible. If nothing else, it's a good learning
experience. Good luck.