Questions regarding use of 'gdb -k'

Kent Kuriyama kuriyama at newhost.cpf.navy.mil
Sun Nov 23 19:02:13 PST 2003

I am having difficulty in using 'gdb -k' to track down a kernel panic.  I
have built a version of the kernel with the debugging symbols.  After
the crash I use the 'gdb -k' command but get the following output:

------------------
chinmon1# gdb -k /data1/src/sys/compile/ata/kernel.debug /var/crash/kernel.29
GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...Deprecated bfd_read called a
t /data1/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/../../../../contrib/gdb/gdb/dbxread.c line
 2627 in elfstab_build_psymtabs
Deprecated bfd_read called at /data1/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/../../../../co
ntrib/gdb/gdb/dbxread.c line 933 in fill_symbuf

IdlePTD at phsyical address 0x00000000
initial pcb at physical address 0x0048cee0

cannot read proc at 0
(kgdb) where
#0  0x0 in ?? ()
(kgdb) exit