vinum configuration

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 23 16:46:41 PST 2003

On Sunday, 23 November 2003 at 19:15:30 -0500, dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     Trying to get vinum going on a 5.1 machine, with two IDE 40 gb hard
> drives at the moment, two more will be added later once i know my setup is
> working. Below are my disklabels for ad0s1 and ad1s1 as well as the vinum
> configuration. I need to know if all of this is right and if not what is not
> up? Also, how do i get the data from one drive to the other? As of now
> drive2 is empty.

So is drive Vinum1 from Vinum's point of view.

> # more /etc/vinum.conf
> drive Vinum1 device /dev/ad0s1h
> volume root setupstate
> plex org concat
> sd len 245760s driveoffset 1048576s

You haven't told Vinum where to put the subdisk.  You must have
received an error message telling you about that.  The result is
correct:

> 0 subdisks:
> vinum ->

That's not your question, but I'm surprised it isn't.

To your question: if you add a second plex, it'll come up in "corrupt"
or some such state.  With 'start plex.p1' (for example) you can bring
it up, which involves copying the data.

Greg