mounting windows FS questions

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Sun Nov 23 16:29:01 PST 2003

paul van den bergen wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a dual boot machine.... Win2k + BSD...
>
>obviously I can mount the windows partition under BSD.
>can I mount the BSD partition(s) under windows?
>
>I have been told that writing to the windows partition from BSD is kinda
>dubious. why is this? is it possible to work around this?

Unsure if there's anything to mount BSD partitions from within Windows-
I wouldn't be surprised, but as Windows uses broken/different
permissions and file attributes, I wouldn't really want to do this.

For mounting Windows filesystems, you can mount fat/vfat/fat32
partitions all day long read-write, but NTFS uses some sort of sequence
IDs in their file attributes, which if ignored or screwed up, can cause
serious issues on the filesystem....so in short, I don't mount NTFS
read/write ;-)

Scott