pidentd troubles

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 01:52:43 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 03:28:09PM -0500, Ben Dover wrote:
> I was running pidentd server in fbsd 5.1 and ran into a problem.  On reboot
> thousands of identd processes would be created.  This caused an enormous
> problem as you can imagine.  I ended up doing a pkg_delete of pidentd.  Has
> anyone had this happen?
>
> I need a reliable ident server; can anyone recommend one from ports?

Why not use the ident server built into inetd(8)?  No extra ports
required.

From the default inetd.conf:

    # Provide internally a real "ident" service which provides ~/.fakeid support,
    # provides ~/.noident support, reports UNKNOWN as the operating system type
    # and times out after 30 seconds.
    #
    auth   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal        auth -r -f -n -o UNKNOWN -t 30
    auth   stream  tcp6    nowait  root    internal        auth -r -f -n -o UNKNOWN -t 30

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way