Can I install packages only for my release?

Rahul Fernandez rnf006 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 00:53:50 PST 2003

Hi, I shall certainly try installing a port instead. I am rather new
to FreeBSD and am unclear as to how I can obtain new packages. When I
run sysinstall, it does not offer new packages. Does that mean that
the new packages are not meant to be installed? Or is it the case
that I need to reconfigure it so that it looks in the correct place?
If the latter, does sysinstall or pkg_add know to deleter the old
version before installing the new one. Thanks for the replies. -Rahul