Weird Problem...

mike bueide mbueide at charter.net
Thu Nov 20 10:36:55 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:08:55PM -0700, mike bueide wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 03:26:02PM -0600, Peter Elsner wrote:
> > Thanks, that's my next attempt.  I don't have NAT running right now,
> > but didn't think it was required unless I have the firewall enabled.
> > I usually enable that after I get everything else up and running.
> >
> Unless nat is running how could your computers
> using the freebsd gateway box connect to the
> outside world?  Nat has nothing to do with the
> firewall.  It will simply replace the your dhcp ip
> from your lan with the IP that the Internet knows
> about on your wan nic interface.

Sorry to respond to my own post.  I just wanted to correct myself
here.  I've been studying for my CCNA too hard and answered this a bit
hastily.  Cisco routers don't need a firewall to enable nat but
FreeBSD does (referring to 19.11.3 of the handbook.)

But, you still need nat to communicate beyond your own lan.