Hardware woes

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 21:39:21 PST 2003

Jason wrote:
> K Anderson wrote:
>
>> Don't recall if I asked here. Asked on the Linux groups.
>>
>> I have the following:
>>   ATI AIW 9800 Pro (R350 w/dual whatever)
>>   Asus SK8N mobo (nForce 3 Pro 150)
>>   Audigy 2
>>   Opteron 246
>>
>> Should have gone with:
>>   nVidia something
>>   Haupage TV (or some other compat thingy)
>>   More compat mobo
>>   Maybe an Audigy 2
>>   Opteron 246
>>
>> So I'm wondering is there any chance to go with either Linux or
>> FreeBSD using the hardware I already have and be able to do the TV
>> thing and the sound thing or am I stuck using Windows XP?
>>
>> I tried GATOS, ATI drivers (they don't support 3d accel from what I
>> can tell), and some other project with no luck. The sound was
>> questionable as I do not have a means to check if the feature of the
>> Audigy 2 are being used.
>>
>> Just wanted to know if anybody else out there in FreeBSD or Linux land
>> might have an ATI AIW 9800 Pro and doing TV in and other fun stuff the
>> card can do.

> I forgot, check the man page for the radeon driver if you have freebsd.
> If not go to the web site.  It looks like you have a lot of support in
> the default drivers.

Hmm, tried GATOS din't work for me.

The current radeon driver (man radeon) only covers the R300 w/o
acceleration. Also with the R350 there seems to be some sort of issue
where PCI:1:0:1 device (the second device on the card) is unrecognized
by any driver. Even ATI's own driver.

Going to 4.3.99.x of X seems promissing but at this point I think I'll
stick with Windows for the acceleration, TV in and all that.

Also, I tried to install FreeBSD on the system before trying SuSE 8.2
and Mandrake 9.1. I saw that SuSE 8.2 was suppose to have an ATI driver
but they forgot it, I briefly tried 9.0 off of LiveCD but I don't recall
if it detected my video card properly. Anyway, back to FBSD. Tried it
and the system would reboot during the installation.

Certainly keep an eye out for updates to any of the items I have been
trying.

Thanks for the information.