Network messaging

Cordula's Web cpghost at cordula.ws
Wed Nov 19 12:59:17 PST 2003

> > Is it possible to set some type of simple messaging system between
> > networked
> > FreeBSD machines?  For example, client A pings client B, and then
> > client B
> > sends some prespecified text reply to client A.
> >
> to what end? I don't know how you respond to a literal ping, but you
> could code up a simple client <-> server system where client A connects
> to client B on a specified port and B emits some text on request.

Is ping not enough? An ICMP ECHO REPLY is a specific reply,
directed only to the hosts that sent the ICMP ECHO REQUEST
in the first place. It's not a prespecified _text_ reply,
but it is a reply nonetheless.

Of course, if you need more information, you need a
client/server implementation.

You could e.g. enable 'daytime' in /etc/inetd.conf (and
start inetd), if you need the local time of the host, etc...

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/