floppy disk - device not configured error

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Nov 19 07:28:00 PST 2003

I guess it means that it doesn't see a floppy drive there.
Either something is wrong with the way it is plugged in or maybe
either the drive or the controller is failing in some way.  Check
connections - wiggle and reseat cables, etc.  Try the drive in some
other way, such as in MSWINxx if you also have that on the machine.

Or you might not have it configured in you kernel.   It is by default
but might have gotten nuked somehow.   Have you ever rebuilt the
kernel on that machine before?      Check in
your kernel config file -  in: /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/(kernel-conf-file)

for the following lines     (kernel-conf-file is whatever you named it)

# Floppy drives
device          fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device          fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
device          fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
#
fd0 and fd1 would be two floppy drives.

If you are not sure then make a copy of GENERIC to a file name
you choose in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/  directory.  Check in that
copy of GENERIC to make sure those lines are in the file - they would
go after the 'options' entries.    Note that they might just be there
already but commented out for some reason.

NOTE ALSO:  If you have created a new kernel, then make a copy of that
kernel-conf file instead of GENERIC.

Then while in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/ directory do:
                    /usr/sbin/config name-of-file-you-copied-GENERIC-to
                    cd ../../compile/name-of-file-you-copied-GENERIC-to
                    make depend
                    make
                    cp /kernel /kernel.save
                    make install
Then reboot  -- shutdown -r now

Of course, this all has to be done as root.

////jerry