floppy disk - device not configured error

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Nov 18 13:36:20 PST 2003

Is the floppy formatted?   Used fdformat for that or do it
on a MS machine.

Also, write to /dev/fd0c   or /dev/rfd0c.

Here is just what I do and have done many times.

   First format two floppies for 1.4 meg using fdformat
   ->    'fdformat -f 1440'    is enough.  It will prompt for the rest
   then
   ->    'dd if=boot-image of=/dev/rfd0c'   for boot floppy
     (change floppy :)
   and
   ->    'dd if=mfs-image of=/dev/rfd0c'    for mfs floppy

The only other thing I can think of is maybe you don't have the device
made correctly.

Check it and use MAKEDEV to make them
  (what happens after you get to 5.x I don't know yet, haven't been there)

do    cd /dev
      ls -l *fd0*
if you don't find an 'rfd0c'  then make one

      ./MAKEDEV fd0         should do it

You might need to delete some stuff first as in

      rm *fdo*

But, really, these should all be there because the system normally
makes these by default.   If they aren't there, something pooped
along the line somewhere.

Good luck,

////jerry