printer/tcp: bind: Address already in use

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Mon Nov 17 19:28:00 PST 2003

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 6:02 PM -0800 11/17/03, K Anderson wrote:
>
>> Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>

>>> Are all the messages from the same process?  And is that
>>> process really 'inetd'?  If so, what kind of entries do
>>> you have in /etc/inetd.conf?
>>

>> Woa, thanks for the quick response.
>

> Just a matter of luck...  :-)
>

>> Yes, the process is really inetd. Since in the inetd.conf
>> there is the following entry:
>>   printer         515/tcp    spooler
>>   printer         515/udp    spooler
>

> Are those lines really in your /etc/inetd.conf file?  Those
> look more like lines from /etc/services.

Oh, right. Sorry.
inetd.conf says....
printer stream tcp nowait daemon /usr/local/libexec/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
cups-lpd

>> And the lprng.sh wants to load lpd from /usr/local/sbin. I
>> do have cups-lpr installed but I don't recall this issue
>> arising from it.
>

> I have no experience with cups-lpr or lprng, so I'm not sure
> what would be causing the problems you described.  But anything
> named /usr/local/etc/rc.d/blah.sh will be executed at startup.
> (well, if it is marked as executable).  I don't think inetd
> enters into that.  But maybe the script launches another copy
> of inetd with a different config file.
>
>> I killed the lpd process and the renamed lprng.sh to something
>> like lprng.sh.runthisandyoudie. Now inetd doesn't complain.
>> Of course I don't understand what application put it there.
>

> Try:
>
> pkg_info -W /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lprng.sh
> or
> pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lprng.sh
>
> (pkg_which is under /usr/local/sbin, if you've installed
> the portupgrade port).  You might have to move the file
> back to it's original name for those commands to work...

Had to do with something called LPRng. I don't recall how it was put
there. So I uninstalled it and it didn't complain about any
dependencies. So now the offender is removed. Such confusion. hehehe.