New parts for new PC (need help - little knowledge of hardware)

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 17 19:23:48 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:01:08 -0600, Bryan Cassidy
<b_cassidy at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I suck when it comes to hardware. I know so little about hardware. My
> dad said he is gonna get me about $400.00 worth of computer parts for
> Christmas/Birthday sence they are so close so I can start building a new
> custom PC. I have already picked out the case I want. I found a Antec
> PlusView1000AMG chassis I like for $80.00 on e-bay so that is the first
> thing I have chosen to get. Next is to choose a mother board. I am
> wanting a ASUS just because I hear alot of people talking about it on
> the forums, irc etc and think I would be happy with it. One of the
> things I am confused about it the onboard sound. I don't want onboard
> sound. Or do I? I am using a Sound Blaster Live!/PCI card now and I
> think I want to stick with a PCI sound card. If the motherboard from
> asus has onboard sound can I use a PCI sound card? Is it best to use a
> PCI sound card or onboard? I get confused when it comes with PCI sound
> cards and onboard sound. What is really over all best when it comes to
> performance and features that is supported in FreeBSD? So, I have a
> Chassis picked out and *just* a brand name motherboard I want to buy.
> Any sertain models you people would recommend on a Asus motherboard?
> Remember, I know pretty much nothing about hardware, I have $400 to
> spend, if the amount of the chassis ($80.00) plus the price of the
> motherboard yall *may* recommend doesn't equal up to $400 could you give
> some more recommendations on parts? Maybe video cards, power supply and
> cooling? I was thinking about buying the TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU
> 480 Watt ATX12V Illuminated from antec. Good idea? Recommend something
> else that I can get the same things from this power supply in another
> one but cheaper? Sorry about the crazy questions but I know nothing
> about hardware and I would like to get some *real* opinions on hardware
> on FreeBSD. This system will most deffinately have FreeBSD installed. I
> think I will always use FreeBSD as long as I own a computer. I'm pretty
> sure I can get a case that's $80.00, a mother board around $100 or so, a
> power supply, *maybe* a video card and a hard drive for around $400.
> What else can you tell me to help out? I appreciate any responses I get.
> He wants me to hurry up and tell him what I want so he can go on and
> order it for me.

You can probably give yourself a bit of a crash course by looking at <URL:
http://www.anandtech.com> and <URL: http://www.tomshardware.com>, then
take a look through <URL: http://www.newegg.com> to see what you can get
for your money.  Don't forget memory, for which you may want to look at
high quality stuff, but they may be a bit over your budget.

Regarding motherboards and CPUs, AMDs are cheaper than Pentiums for
equivalent performance, but AMDs run hotter, meaning the CPU fan must move
more air, meaning more noise.

Though not the absolute best on price, in terms of quality service and
excellent advice on putting together a system you could do a lot worse
than talking to Todd at Envision Computer Solutions (<URL:
http://www.envisioncs.net>).

Jud