File permission question

How Can ThisBe howcanthisbe300 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 14 19:52:43 PST 2003

Hi, I've just noticed a small issue, which I'm sure others are aware of.

For apache to server users webpages, apache need to be able to read files
and directories. So we have something like the following (by default) on
FreeBSD;

tigger at piglet:~% ls -Al ./ public_html/index.php | grep pub
-rw-r--r--  1 tigger  tigger  16 Mar 24  2002 public_html/index.php
drwxr-xr-x  12 tigger  tigger       512 Aug 14 02:04 public_html/

However, the following set-up is a little more secure (users can not read
other users includes files for a start) and works fine;

tigger at piglet:~% ls -Al ./ public_html/index.php | grep pub
-rw-r-----  1 tigger  www     16 Mar 24  2002 public_html/index.php
drwxr-x---  12 tigger  www          512 Aug 14 02:04 public_html/

My question is, when I make a new file or directory in ~/public_html (with
chown tigger:www), the file is made with the following permission:

-rw-r--r--  1 tigger  www      0 Nov 15 13:42 public_html/test1.php

How can I make new files without the world readable flag set, within the
public_html directory?