Recursion with grep?

Francisco J Reyes fran at natserv.net
Thu Nov 13 19:40:46 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Viktor Lazlo wrote:

> If there are a large number of files this will call grep numerous
> times--it would be more efficient to pass to xargs so grep is only called
> a few times:
>
> find . -type f -print | xargs grep options string

Although in my case the files are few I will keep this sample handy if I
ever need to work on large number of files.

I think I am going to research what would it take for someone to fix grep
and pay them.

How do think we would want grep to work?

Do we want something like:
grep -r <string> *.c

If I get someone to change grep anyone care to comment on whether it would
be difficult to get this imported into the tree?