Install X windows in Free BSD 4.8 - Help required.

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Thu Nov 13 16:14:27 PST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:53:44 +1100
"Verghese George" <vgeorge at groupwise.swin.edu.au> wrote:

> Hello,
> Thanks for the help.
> I still have a problem starting up the X windows.
> First of all the login screen for X windows still does not allow me to
> get into the system. When I type my login name and password ,  the
> screen goes blank and the login screen reappears after some time.

I remember having this problem when starting out with XWindows too.
IIRC, it was because I had no ~/.xsession file.  (If the system was
supposed to automatically create one, it didn't, but maybe it just
doesn't do that...)

If this is the situation for you, you can log in on a text console and
create a sensible ~/.xsession file, e.g.

  # echo 'exec xterm' > ~/.xsession

Then try logging in through xdm.

If you already have a window manager installed, you can specify it
instead of 'xterm' there.  e.g. the last line in my ~/.xsession is

  exec blackbox

btw, a pretty good tutorial for ~/.xsession can be found at:

  http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/X/xsession.html

-Chris
(randomly answering "~/.xsession!" regardless of the question, today :)