quick question about turning the annoying beep off in X

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Thu Nov 13 13:52:30 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:44:43 -0800 (PST)
twig les <twigles at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey all, in my /etc/csh.cshrc I have
>
> xset b off
>
> which does what I want, which is to tell X to shut up without me
> having to type the command in every X session.  But it seems
> clumsy as it puts up an error "xset:  unable to open display """
> when I ssh in.  I fully understand that this *should* be an
> error because csh.cshrc is a shell init file, I just tried this
> in .xinitrc and it didn't work.  Putting it in
> /usr/X11R6/bin/startx had predictably bad results.
>
> So anyone know the correct file for this command?

You could try ~/.xsession, although I think that might only work when
you run xdm.

If all else fails, you could just call it like

  xset b off >& /dev/null

although that, too, is a bit of an ugly hack (if it ever generates
output that you *do* care about, you won't see it.)

-Chris