FreeBSD Essay.

Viktor Lazlo viktorlazlo at telus.net
Thu Nov 13 07:07:44 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Lewis Thompson wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm a first year CS student at Manchester and I've been given the task
> of writing a 1,000 word essay on something computer-related.  It can be
> pretty much anything I want (I think).  I've decided FreeBSD is
> interesting, the OS I advocate and that I shall write about this.
>
>   I am planning to write a brief history of the four BSDs, going way
> back in time (probably a few words on Ritchie, etc.) but then
> concentrate on FreeBSD.

1000 words is awfully short to cover such a general topic in any detail--a
few sentences on each would use up that much space easily.  A couple of
alternatives I can think of would be: to use FreeBSD as representative of
the BSD's in general and focus on open source technology and describe some
of the advantages and disadvantages compared to Windows; or what makes the
BSD's different from Linux, since most people who aren't familiar with
PC-unices will probably have at least heard of Linux and are likely to
consider FreeBSD to be the same thing, more or less.

Cheers,

Viktor