Panic on install

Kevin Orviss kjorviss at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 15:22:58 PST 2003

Hi Guys,

I am trying to install FreeBSD 5.1 from CD on a Toshiba Tecra 8200 Laptop.
No matter what mode I start the install in, it results in a kernel panic.
The laptop has an in built Intel NIC and an inbuilt Wireless NIC as well. As
you can see from the output below it always happens after the Wi-Fi NIC has
been detected. I think it has something to do with the way the interupts are
being re-routed, but I do not know how to get around it as this is my first
'adventure' with FreeBSD.

Here is the last output I can see on screen before the kernal panic:

Wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station (6.14.1)
Wi0: supported rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5 Mbps 11Mbps

fault virtual address 	= 0xdbbd8000
fault code			= supervisor read, page not present
Instruction pointer	= 0x8 : 0xc025fe25
Stack pointer		= 0x10 : 0xd6959964
Frame pointer		= 0x10 : 0xd6959b7c
Code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
				= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
Processor eflags	  	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
Current process		= 25 (cbb1)
Trap number 		= 12
Panic: page fault

I have looked through the FreeBSD handbook, but I just do not have enough
experience with FreeBSD to make sense of it. Can anyone give any help?

Thanks

Kevin