Installation Hang

Technical Director trodat at ultratrends.com
Tue Nov 11 11:54:37 PST 2003

Nick,

Alt - F2 will give you a screen of console messages that were experienced
during different stages of your installation. Look for error messages or
messages that have been printed in FULL CAPITALS.

Bin is the first major read operation from the CD-ROM that occurs using
the FreeBSD drivers and since you say it doesn't boot the CD-ROM sometimes
after reboot I'm lead to believe that you are having problems here.

1 - (Easy) Disable the CD-ROM in BIOS and try a Floppy -> FTP
install. Does it still hang up?

2 - (Remotely possible) Does your CD-ROM exist in your system on the same
IDE channel as the HDD? If so and you are using any of the ATA options you
might try and split it from the HDD and put it into the second chain. In
other words unplug the CD-ROM from the one cable and use the other cable
in your system.

I hope that these ideas help you out.

R.