portupgrade -arR

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Nov 11 09:43:07 PST 2003

William O'Higgins wrote:

>Quite foolishly, I ran this command without thinking it through:
>
>portupgrade -arR
>
>It's been running for 15 hours or so now, and I'm wondering how much
>longer it is likely to take?  I realize that "that depends" <grin />,
>but I've love some anecdotal hints if anyone's got some.  I installed
>4.8 from a CD, and didn't upgrade much of anything, and I have since
>CVSup'd a new ports tree, built the pkgdb and now portupgrade is just
>running and running.  It's not looping, it's just working away, and I
>have no idea where it is in the process (it compiling kdeutils as we
>speak - I wish I'd remembered to uninstall *that* before I started).
>Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Don't know that it's foolish, though it's best to
have done this via X, I guess... you could just
watch it work in an xterm or something.

I guess if you're in CLI, you could ALT-F2
to another virtual terminal and still work a bit?

-arR generally takes a day and a half for my desktop
machine.  Most of the time spent, though, in retrospect,
is grabbing new tarballs over a modem connection...

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.