Is the swap partition really required for a live FS CD-ROM?

Harald Schmalzbauer h at schmalzbauer.de
Mon Nov 10 16:02:36 PST 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 00:12, Daniela wrote:
> Hi all, I'm creating a Knoppix-like FreeBSD release (live filesystem, runs
> from CD) with 4.9 sources. I'm almost done, but I don't know what to do
> with swap. I read somewhere that I must have a swap partition in my
> /etc/fstab, can't this requirement be overridden?

From -current NOTES (don't have 4.9 arround):
Disable swapping of upages and stack pages.  This option removes all
code which actually performs swapping, so it's not possible to turn
it back on at run-time.
This is sometimes usable for systems which don't have any swap space
(see also sysctls "vm.defer_swapspace_pageouts" and
"vm.disable_swapspace_pageouts")

options        NO_SWAPPING

But I think I used exactly that option when I did my embedded BSD more than
one year ago.

Best regards,

-Harry