your mail

Gerald S Stoller gs_stoller at juno.com
Mon Nov 10 14:58:38 PST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:27:44 +1300 Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>
writes:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 11:47:58PM -0500, Gerald S Stoller wrote:
> > FreeBSD  4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49
> GMT 2001
> >     jkh at narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
> >
> >                 I received this message on my  FreeBSD  system in
> root
> > windows:
> > sendmail[897]: h9V0K0r00897: forward /home/sstoller/.forward:
> Group
> > writable directory
> >
> >                It doesn't tell me which directory it is
> complaining about
> > so I don't know which one to fix.
>
> Very likely /home/sstoller.
> --
> Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>
           Turns out that it was two directories,,  /usr  &  /usr/homes .
 /home  is a link to  /usr/homes .
           When I have to do things in a directoryowned by  root  or the
system,
I make it group writable ( wheel ) and use the user  sstoller  (who is in
 wheel )
to make the changes.  Thus I avoid having  root  do much, since work done
by  root  can turn to disaster with typos.  Later I change the
directories back,
but I have had the system crash and I could have forgotten about the
directories
when I next booted.
       Anyway, I still maintain that the message should name the
directories that it
is complaining about.