Enemy Territory

Robin Schoonover end at endif.cjb.net
Mon Nov 10 11:29:17 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:00:56 +0100, "Karel J. Bosschaart"
<K.J.Bosschaart at tue.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:21:34AM -0700, Robin Schoonover wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:11:30 +0100, "Karel J. Bosschaart"
> > <K.J.Bosschaart at tue.nl> wrote:

> This is a serious problem that should be fixed if you want to use
> 3d-acceleration. My log (on 5.1-current) shows
>
> (II) LoadModule: "glx"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
> (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>         compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.4365
>         Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
>         ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
> (II) Loading extension GLX
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"

> Sorry, I don't know why it is not loading :-(. If you have the line
> 'Load "dri"' in your XF86Config, comment it out. It is not needed and
> might cause trouble. I suppose you have the kernel module nvidia.ko
> loaded?

Yes to both.

> You can test direct rendering by typing 'glxinfo'. It should show
> (among a lot of other stuff): direct rendering: Yes.

Nope, so naturally glxgears ran poorly.

> Have a look at http://www.icculus.org . It's the most extensive list
> of Linux games I know off, including useful links.

cool.

> Don't forget to check out the nvidia-driver FAQ:
> http://www.soulwax.net/nvidia/faq.shtml

I checked there again...and didn't directly help.

So then I tried running tuxracer, which really wants DRI, but can run
anyway.  No DRI (as we know), but why?  The nvidia stuff is installed,
...isn't it?

Or maybe it was only partially installed (and some of the opengl libs
weren't).  That doesn't make sense... So I reinstalled the nvidia-driver
from ports, and tried running tuxracer again.  Doh!  Crashed X.  Of course,
GLX isn't loaded, so it gets confused, so I'll just have to restart
X....and I get this message:

(II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension

Well, that looks promising.  Fire up Descent 3 and....Wow.  Descent 3 is a
lot different from the first one.  So much higher resolution...

Well, thanks for the help.  (although this may be a bad thing..how will I
get -anything- real done??)

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
#