Newbie USB Printer Problem

Alex Kelly alexkelly at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 8 16:43:06 PST 2003

I cannot get my HP Deskjet 3420 printer to work. I've read all the prior posts
for USB printers, checked the handbook and the complete freebsd book. After
doing so, I've come up with this...

The kernel found the printer (dmesg):
ulpt0: hp deskjet 3420, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

I edited printcap in /etc to look like this:
lp|ps|local hp deskjet 3420:\
        :lp=/dev/ulpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:sh:mx#0:\
	:if=/usr/local/libexec/magicfilter/deskjet-filter:

I added the line lpd_enable="YES" to rd.conf in /etc

I rebooted. lpd started properly and shows up under top and ps

I issued this command to test the printer:
lptest > /dev/ulpt0

The printer did nothing.

Any suggestions?