Mouse under X

Shantanoo Mahajan fbsd at dhumketu.cjb.net
Mon Nov 3 09:56:33 PST 2003

+++ Adam Flaherty [03-11-03 23:56 +1000]:

| On Monday, Nov 3, 2003, at 05:26 Australia/Brisbane, Shantanoo Mahajan
| wrote:
|
| >+++ Adam Flaherty [freebsd] [02-11-03 22:34 +1000]:
| >| Hello,
| >|
| >| I have recently installed FreeBSD 4.8 and am having trouble getting
| >my
| >| PS/2 mouse to work with X11/ Gnome. The mouse works when setting up
| >| moused with /stand/sysinstall and xf86cfg but when gnome loads any
| >| mouse movement translates into the cursor moving to the top right of
| >| the screen. I have tried the various protocols under xf86cfg and
| >| followed the instructions in the FAQ that suggest adding lines to the
| >| config file, and also linking /dev/mouse and /dev/sysmouse. I am at a
| >| loss so any help would be highly appreciated.
| >|
| >| Thanks
| >|
| >| Adam Flaherty
| >

| >I faced the similar problem. this is how i solved it. maybe
| >there can be a better way.
| >
| ># XFree86 -configure
| >
| >/root/XF86Config.new is created.
| >check out the protocol and place it in your XF86Config file.
| >
| >Regards,
| >Shantanoo
| >

| Shantanoo,
|
| Just one more question, your method works for root, however I don't
| know how to set it up for a normal user, when I try to run XFree86
| -configure as a user it tells me it can only be run by root. With a
| normal user the problem persists.
|
| Thanks,
| Adam

from "man XFree86"

       -configure
               When this option is specified, the X  server loads  all  video
               driver  modules,  probes for available hardware, and writes out
               an initial XF86Config(5) file based on what was detected.  This
               option  currently  has  some problems on some platforms, but in
               most cases it is a good  way  to  bootstrap the  configuration
               process.   This option is only available when the server is run
               as root (i.e, with real-uid 0).

Hope this helps.
Only SUID=0, is allowed to make any changes to the system,
(re)installation/(re)configuration etc.

Regards,
Shantanoo